To become an announced candidate for political office:
- You must first file with the Supervisor of Elections office a Form DS-DE 9, which provides for an Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository. This must be filed before opening a campaign account and no contributions are to be received and no expenditures made, or authorizing another to accept contributions or make expenditures on the candidate’s behalf.
- Within 10 days after filing Form DS-DE 9, each candidate must file Statement of Candidate Form DS-DE 84 indicating you have received, read, and understand the requirements of Chapter 106, Florida Statutes.
- File periodical campaign treasurer’s reports as outlined in chapter 106.07, Florida Statutes.
- Meet specific legal requirements regarding campaign advertising and campaign financing.
- If you choose to qualify by the petition method for County office you must obtain signatures of 1% of total number registered voters at the last general election. For local candidates running countywide in Suwannee County the number of petitions needed is 251 based on 25,058 registered voters in the 2014 general election. For candidates running within their district or Suwannee Soil and Water Conservation Districts, contact the office of the Supervisor of Elections for petition requirements.
- If you choose to qualify by paying a qualifying fee, instead of by the petition method, a campaign check must be written for the total amount of the fee, made payable to Supervisor of Elections.
- Qualifying fees for:
- major party candidates will be 6% of the annual salary of the office sought.
- nonpartisan office and candidates with no party affiliation will be 4% of the annual salary of the office sought.
- minor party candidates will be 4% of the annual salary of the office sought , unless the minor party chooses to assess the party fee, in which case it will be 6%.
- Complete appropriate Financial Disclosure form.
All documents must be filed with the Qualifying Officer of the Supervisor of Elections office.
- Sign appropriate Loyalty Oath/Oath of Candidate form.
Contact the Supervisor of Elections office at 386-362-2616, for an appointment or additional information.